Urban regeneration for town planners and other placemaking professionals, including decontamination and physical regeneration.Page Title RSS feed
Councils need to take a strategic approach to making centres secure against the possibility of terrorist attack and avoid a fortress solution finds Ben Kochan.
It's hard, given the events in West London, to write about anything else, but it is also hard, in the absence of any concrete information on the causes, to comment on this tragedy. It may turn out that someone did something wrong negligently (or in other ways), but it also seems possible that this is the unimaginably tragic result of system failure.
It's now nearly two decades since architect Richard Rogers started the study that produced the concept of urban renaissance.
I recently watched two films with placemaking themes. The first was Citizen Jane, the story of community activist Jane Jacobs' successful 1960s campaign against New York city planner Robert Moses' proposals for the destruction of Manhattan through large-scale demolition. The second, A Moving Image, based on the Reclaim the Streets protests in Brixton in 1998, asked intelligent questions about gentrification.
Street and covered markets can provide the basis for major town and city centre regeneration projects but they must fit into the surrounding retail offer, finds Ben Kochan.
Plans to create theatre and education centre move forward as its Merseyside location looks to revamp public realm alongside.
Redevelopment of the listed Tramshed on the edge of Cardiff city centre has created a centre for creative and leisure uses, finds Michael Rees.
Consent for the Peel Project marks the latest chapter in the 15 year regeneration programme for South Kilburn.
- Senior & Principal Planning Officers Brent Council Aylesbury
- Associate Planner - Central London Lewis Davey London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Planning Officer Ackerman Pierce West Yorkshire
- Senior Planning Officer Ackerman Pierce South East England
- Senior/Principal Planning Officer Ackerman Pierce London
- Planning Enforcement Officer Ackerman Pierce Warwickshire
- Senior Planning Officer Maidstone Borough Council Maidstone, Kent
- Major Projects Manager Maidstone Borough Council Maidstone, Kent
- Senior Town Planner - Swindon Penguin Recruitment Swindon
- Principal Regeneration and Economic Development Officer Oxford City Council Oxford, Oxfordshire