Expert comment on town planning, urban regeneration, economic development, urban design, sustainable development & community building.Page Title RSS feed
The audit of housing design quality being led by Professor Matthew Carmona of the Bartlett School for Planning will provide quantitative evidence to inform policymaking, writes Chris Brown.
Tim Williams contemplates the track record of the UK's new prime minister and the qualities of the returning co-chair of a government-initiated commission.
Research and record temperatures are repeatedly reminding us of how our climate is changing, and we need to take this seriously when designing new places, writes Chris Brown.
By any assessment the government's doomed Help to Buy policy has had an extraordinary effect on the housing market.
The Welsh government's decision to drop plans for a relief road around Newport is sound, but South Wales still needs transport infrastructure and ways to fund it, says Tim Williams.
A new report commissioned for the Labour Party has made a clear case for placemaking, but leaves Chris Brown wondering about its political impact.
There are many ways of evaluating placemaking, but Chris Brown asks whether we can measure outcomes in a way that reliably differentiates successful locations from unloved ones.
Discussion around physical and mental health focuses on concerns like foods, drinks and social media, but we should also be looking to urban design, writes Ken Dytor.
Transport for London's partnership with private landlord Grainger is a model that could be followed outside the capital, writes Dean Clifford.
Western Sydney's councils, government departments and private sector are heading to east London to learn from the places, processes and people that have reshaped it, writes Tim Williams.
The power imbalance between public sector landowners and communities works against achieving the best possible placemaking outcomes, writes Chris Brown.
We need to recognise the specific challenges of individual high streets, and not assume that the national narrative is true for every place, writes Holly Lewis.
- Associate Director / Director Lewis Davey Altrincham, Flexible Location
- Senior Town Planning Consultant - Cheshire Lewis Davey Flexible in the North East
- Planning Officer Vivid Resourcing Midlands
- Planning Director - Established and successful Planning Consultancy Deverell Smith London (Central), London (Greater)
- Planning Manager Deverell Smith London (Central), London (Greater)
- Enterprise & Infrastructure Policy Team Leader Stratford-on-Avon District Council Elizabeth House, Church Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire
- Assistant Director - Planning Vivid Resourcing North West
- Planning Officer - OUTSIDE IR35 Vivid Resourcing Buckinghamshire
- Planning Officer Vivid Resourcing West Midlands
- Senior Planning Officer Vivid Resourcing Warwickshire