Expert comment on town planning, urban regeneration, economic development, urban design, sustainable development & community building.Page Title RSS feed
Opinion: Learn the lessons from public resistance to the 15 minute city concept
Communities may have been consulted over the introduction of 15 minute neighbourhoods, but they have not been listened to, writes Tim Williams.
Opinion: The world of real estate is facing radical reconfiguration
With the end of one era of urbanism and real estate usage, another is beginning, writes Tim Williams, and knowledge and research are key to navigating its uncertainty.
Opinion: Biodiversity net gain will come at a cost to developers
Research has given some understanding of where biodiversity net gain requirements have the greatest potential to threaten viability, writes Kieron Gregson.
Opinion: We can't create gender-inclusive cities without a gendered perspective in planning policy
Many women feel unsafe walking alone in cities after dark but planning policy is largely failing to respond to gender-specific needs, writes Olivia Docker.
Opinion: Going back to nature in urban design
Policies acknowledging the importance of greening need to enable developers to implement measures without compromising the scheme itself, writes Grant Leggett.
Opinion: We need to integrate people and place in strategies for urban renewal
With Michael Gove back at the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities, there is some prospect of renewed momentum on the agenda, writes Tim Williams.
Opinion: Ways out of the nutrient neutrality impasse
Current interpretation of the habitat regulations has left the housebuilding industry trapped and the absence of action threatens the government's levelling up objectives, writes Lawrence Turner.
Opinion: Reaping the community benefits of build to rent
Affordable housing has to date had a relatively small part to play in build to rent developments. Andy Jones looks at whether more should be delivered as part of the package of community benefits.
Opinion: Why do they never learn?
The gap has grown between outcomes in British regional cities and their continental counterparts, and current government policy won't close it, writes Tim Williams.
Opinion: We need a grown-up policy response to the polycrisis
Government is failing to live up to its own rhetoric, with planned changes to the NPPF falling far short in helping the UK meet its carbon budget, writes Chris Brown.
Opinion: When the commonality between classes collapses
There has been a separation of interests and objectives between the working class and the middle classes that used to align with it, and divides are set to worsen, writes Tim Williams.
Opinion: Towards a new form of levelling up and regeneration
Policies in the Levelling Up and Regeneration Bill and moves by rebellious backbench MPs both include some measures that may contribute to a new vision for levelling up and regeneration, writes Chris Brown.
- Planner | Birmingham | Real Estate Consultancy Penguin Recruitment Homeworking
- Planner (Graduate to Associate) Beach Baker Property Recruitment Bristol
- Town Planner or Senior Town Planner CCO Group London (Greater)
- Senior, Principal or Associate Director of Town Planning – London CCO Group London (Greater)
- Senior Policy Officer Matchtech London (Greater)
- Planning Officer - Householder Apps Osborne Richardson East Sussex, England
- Planner or Senior Planner (Birmingham) Beach Baker Property Recruitment Birmingham, West Midlands
- Senior Planner – Projects Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council Welwyn Garden City, AL8 6AE
- Principal Planning Officer - Development Management Mid Devon District Council Tiverton, Devon
- Planner / Senior Planner Parker Planning Services Suffolk - Bury St Edmunds / Cambridge - Milton