Expert comment on town planning, urban regeneration, economic development, urban design, sustainable development & community building.Page Title RSS feed
Local political leadership is driving a string of new sustainable neighbourhoods and the UK government will be making its own mark, writes Chris Brown.
Levelling up is a good thing and the Treasury now needs to define it, as a new report highlights, writes Tim Williams.
County-wide collaborations between players from housing and the public sector are the way ahead, argues Michael Hardware.
Should the industry continue to provide standard housetypes or allow occupiers to decide on design? There is a middle way, writes Chris Brown.
Why ditching the dreaded section 106 negotiations could lead to something even worse for developers, by Joey Gardiner
The government’s planning white paper proposals to rip up the current system by which developers contribute to the cost of the infrastructure required to support their schemes, and replace it with a nationally set Infrastructure Levy have been greeted with dismay by councils and housing associations.
Tim Williams has seen little effective action so far in the UK or Australia to save the city centre business district.
A shift to homeworking could transform the economies of towns and villages and ultimately help drive regeneration, but policies need a local focus, writes Victoria Perry.
The government's proposals for planning reform are probably not radical enough to make great places, writes Chris Brown.
The pandemic has put city centres and central business districts at risk and we need vision, guts and strategy to revive them, says Tim Williams.
Economic recovery offers the potential to focus on quality homes, health and wellbeing and compact neighbourhoods and the tools are at hand to deliver, write Hilary Satchwell and Katja Stille.
With the COVID shock having an impact on work and travel patterns, cities may have to respond quickly, says Chris Brown.
Tim Williams considers how ways of living could change, and gives a personal perspective on the loss of a UK housebuilding titan.
- Principal Strategic Planner Osborne Richardson Homeworking
- Senior/Principal Town Planner – Development Management Coventry City Council Coventry, West Midlands
- ASSOCIATE PLANNER Lewis Davey Gloucester
- Principal Town Planner- Planning Policy Coventry City Council Coventry, West Midlands
- Director of Environment, Housing and Regeneration Macdonald & Co London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Planning Officer Vivid Resourcing North West England
- Principal Planning Officer Carrington West East Sussex
- URGENT - Principal Planning Officer Vivid Resourcing East Midlands
- Planning Obligations S106 / CIL Officer (Remote Working) Macdonald & Co London (Central), London (Greater)
- Forward Planning Team Manager Ashfield District Council Sutton-In-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire