Expert comment on town planning, urban regeneration, economic development, urban design, sustainable development & community building.Page Title RSS feed
The pandemic has put city centres and central business districts at risk and we need vision, guts and strategy to revive them, says Tim Williams.
Economic recovery offers the potential to focus on quality homes, health and wellbeing and compact neighbourhoods and the tools are at hand to deliver, write Hilary Satchwell and Katja Stille.
With the COVID shock having an impact on work and travel patterns, cities may have to respond quickly, says Chris Brown.
Tim Williams considers how ways of living could change, and gives a personal perspective on the loss of a UK housebuilding titan.
As current development proposals continue to promote business as usual, how can post-lockdown ambitions to do better make progress, asks Chris Brown.
Our housing delivery system lacks resilience and is unable, even in good times, to provide the homes citizens need at a price more can afford, writes Tim Williams.
Temporary measures are being introduced in cities to encourage people to continue cycling and walking as lockdown is loosened. But there's the potential to think bigger, writes Chris Brown.
Our notion of resilience through the COVID-19 crisis should involve creating a better world, harnessing and honouring the power of community, writes Tim Williams.
We need to demand better places if we don't want government to repeat the approaches of the past, writes Chris Brown.
Urban policy in areas including transport, housing density, office occupancy and co-working is being brought into question by the pandemic, writes Tim Williams.
No-contact consultation can be effective and fully comply with local authority requirements, although it has to be a different experience, writes Michael Hardware.
Placemaking practice should focus on some of the critical health outcomes that well designed places can influence, writes Chris Brown.
- Assistant Planning Officer - Planning Policy Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council Solihull, West Midlands
- Team Leader - are you a strategic thinker and a good leader of people, this could be for you!? Lewis Davey London (Greater)
- Regeneration and Economy Programme Manager Carrington West South East of England
- Planning Development Manager Gloucester City Council Shire Hall, Gloucester, Gloucestershire
- Town Planner - Consultancy Deverell Smith London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Planner Osborne Richardson East of England
- Head of Planning Osborne Richardson North West England
- Regeneration Manager Carrington West West Midlands
- CIL Administrator Macdonald & Co London
- Principal Town Planner - Oxford Penguin Recruitment Oxford