Expert comment on town planning, urban regeneration, economic development, urban design, sustainable development & community building.Page Title RSS feed
Research and record temperatures are repeatedly reminding us of how our climate is changing, and we need to take this seriously when designing new places, writes Chris Brown.
By any assessment the government's doomed Help to Buy policy has had an extraordinary effect on the housing market.
The Welsh government's decision to drop plans for a relief road around Newport is sound, but South Wales still needs transport infrastructure and ways to fund it, says Tim Williams.
A new report commissioned for the Labour Party has made a clear case for placemaking, but leaves Chris Brown wondering about its political impact.
There are many ways of evaluating placemaking, but Chris Brown asks whether we can measure outcomes in a way that reliably differentiates successful locations from unloved ones.
Discussion around physical and mental health focuses on concerns like foods, drinks and social media, but we should also be looking to urban design, writes Ken Dytor.
Transport for London's partnership with private landlord Grainger is a model that could be followed outside the capital, writes Dean Clifford.
Western Sydney's councils, government departments and private sector are heading to east London to learn from the places, processes and people that have reshaped it, writes Tim Williams.
The power imbalance between public sector landowners and communities works against achieving the best possible placemaking outcomes, writes Chris Brown.
We need to recognise the specific challenges of individual high streets, and not assume that the national narrative is true for every place, writes Holly Lewis.
For change agents and those involved in social transformation, lessons are to be found in history and guidance from China, writes Tim Williams.
Impact investment - investing for a social or environmental purpose - has seen rapid growth and might start to have a positive influence on placemaking, writes Chris Brown.
- Senior | Principal Town Planner Lewis Davey City of Bristol
- Town Planner | London (Central) | Planning & Design Consultancy Penguin Recruitment London
- Senior Policy Officer - OUTSIDE IR35 Carrington West Berkshire
- Planning Officer Vivid Resourcing South West England
- Planning Director (Southampton) Beach Baker Property Recruitment Southampton
- Regeneration Programme Manager Carrington West London (Greater)
- Senior Planner Turley Reading or Southampton
- Senior/Principal Planner Vivid Resourcing Kent
- Planning Manager Deverell Smith London (Central), London (Greater)
- Planning Enforcement Officer Vivid Resourcing South West England