Expert comment on town planning, urban regeneration, economic development, urban design, sustainable development & community building.Page Title RSS feed
"Cities are not great lumps of chaos," said the celebrated urbanist Jane Jacobs. These and other words have resonance for Chris Brown in our present context.
It's just possible former foreign secretary Boris Johnson has disturbed the serenity of your summer with his unique brand of populist pot-stirring. In fact, he hasn't confined himself to insulting burkha-wearers.
Bad transport infrastructure decisions in south Wales are continuing to cost the region dearly, writes Tim Williams.
As technology and environmental regulations change, industry is returning to the capital in schemes that mix housing and making, writes Chris Brown.
Last month's revised National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) contained an expanded section on supporting large-scale development that was much more detailed than either the existing framework or the March consultation draft.
That's because housing demand reflects the ability to finance a mortgage, rather than the need for shelter, writes Tim Williams.
If we could reliably identify and measure the social impact of regeneration, we would almost certainly want to rethink how we go about placemaking, writes Chris Brown.
A long established community of park homes in Berkshire has become the focus for a planning conflict that raises questions about homeowner rights, says Michael Hardware.
The spectre of weakening housebuilding output has been raised by the government's latest quarterly housebuilding figures, which show year-on-year falls in both housing starts and completions.
Walkability has been designed out of Australian cities, and designing it back in needs to start with traffic lights, argues Tim Williams.
Discussion of the benefits of great placemaking can too easily be dismissed as subjective. More hard evidence is needed, says Chris Brown.
Speculation has helped to make city housing unaffordable, but Singapore has a very different model and remains a city for all, writes Tim Williams.
- Principal Planning Officer Park Avenue Recruitment Cambridgeshire
- Senior Planner – Bedford – Planning Consultancy Jon Taylor Associates Bedford, Bedfordshire
- Planning Team Leader St Albans District Council St Albans, Hertfordshire
- Senior Policy Planner- Surrey Park Avenue Recruitment Surrey
- Planning Officer- Surrey Park Avenue Recruitment Surrey
- Planner / Senior Planner, - Residential Developer PSD Group North West England
- OUTSIDE IR35 Principal Planning Officer Park Avenue Recruitment Somerset
- Principal Planner - Somerset - Outside IR35 Oyster Partnership Somerset
- Senior Development Management Officer Vivid Resourcing Norfolk
- Senior DM Planner - OUTSIDE IR35 Park Avenue Recruitment Norfolk