Urban regeneration for town planners and other placemaking professionals, including decontamination and physical regeneration.Page Title RSS feed
Live Theatre's LiveWorks on Newcastle's Quayside provides performance and education space and a pocket park, all funded by its accompanying office development, writes Roger Maier.
Councils in coastal towns need to make the most of location and engage with their communities to promote regeneration, finds Ben Kochan.
Last week's pledge by Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn to end "forced gentrification and social cleansing" on large estate regeneration projects was hailed in some quarters as a transformative political move. But, many of the policies Corbyn put forward could have been taken from the government's own Estate Regeneration National Strategy (ERNS), published last year. Nevertheless, his promise to turn what is currently best practice guidance into legal minimum requirements raises issues.
Councils are facing a string of challenges in providing placemaking services but step changes in delivery can occur in challenging times, writes Steve Ottewell.
Councils need a strategy to spread tourism across their sub-regions to ensure major historic centres are not overburdened by visitors, writes Ben Kochan.
Councils need to take a strategic approach to making centres secure against the possibility of terrorist attack and avoid a fortress solution finds Ben Kochan.
It's hard, given the events in West London, to write about anything else, but it is also hard, in the absence of any concrete information on the causes, to comment on this tragedy. It may turn out that someone did something wrong negligently (or in other ways), but it also seems possible that this is the unimaginably tragic result of system failure.
It's now nearly two decades since architect Richard Rogers started the study that produced the concept of urban renaissance.
I recently watched two films with placemaking themes. The first was Citizen Jane, the story of community activist Jane Jacobs' successful 1960s campaign against New York city planner Robert Moses' proposals for the destruction of Manhattan through large-scale demolition. The second, A Moving Image, based on the Reclaim the Streets protests in Brixton in 1998, asked intelligent questions about gentrification.
- Principal Planning Officer Mendip District Council Shepton Mallet, Somerset
- Graduate/Assistant Planner Macdonald & Co Central London
- Principal Planner - Worcestershire Park Avenue Recruitment Ltd Worcestershire
- Planning Technician South Norfolk District Council Long Stratton, Norwich
- Planning Enforcement Officer Vivid Resourcing East Midlands Region
- Planning Officer West Lancashire Borough Council Ormskirk, Lancashire
- Experienced Graduate Planner / Reading / APC support Penguin Recruitment Reading
- Planner - Town Planner - Planning Consultancy Oyster Partnership London
- Senior/ Principal Planner - Berkshire Oyster Partnership Berkshire
- Senior to Principal Town Planner Deverell Smith London (Central), London (Greater)
- Wed 29 Nov 2017
- NLA, The Building Centre, 26 Store Street, London, WC1E 7BT
- Wed 29 Nov 2017
- 15Hatfields Chadwick Court London SE1 8DJ
Westminster Media Forum Keynote Seminar: Next steps for regional development and the creative industries in the UK
- Thu 14 Dec 2017
- Central London